Even before I purchase an action camera to document my kayaking adventures, I want to learn how to create a decent video so I can use it when I do get the camera. There are 12 tactics to get the best kayak action camera footage.
I decided to create a top 3 list of action cameras since there are so many to choose from (According to my research). For your convenience, I've included a buyer's guide at the bottom of this article that outlines the characteristics to look for in an action camera.
Our Top 3 Kayaking Action Cameras for 2021
1. GoPro Hero7 Black — Waterproof Action Camera
|Video Capture Resolution||4K|
|Optical Sensor Size||12MP|
Description of GoPro Hero7 Black
- HyperSmooth: Get gimbal‑like stabilization—without the gimbal. HERO7 Black corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- TimeWarp: Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments
- Live streaming in 720p: Share while you’re there. Live stream in 720p on social, get HyperSmooth stabilization as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later
- Rugged + Waterproof: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is rugged, waterproof without a housing to 33 feet (10m) and up for any adventure
- SuperPhoto: Get brilliant photos automatically. With SuperPhoto, HERO7 Black intelligently applies HDR, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimize your shots
- Voice control: Go hands-free with 16 voice commands like “GoPro, take a photo” and “GoPro, turn on.” Understands English (US, UK, AU and India), Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (BR), Russian & Spanish (EU and NA)
- 4K60 Video + 12MP Photos: HERO7 Black shoots stunning 4K60 video and 12MP photos that are as awesome as the moments themselves
- 8x Slo-Mo video: With ultra-high frame rate 1080p240 video, you can slow things down by up to 8x to relive funny, interesting or epic moments in all their glory
- Intuitive touch screen: If you have a smartphone, using HERO7 Black will feel familiar; three main capture modes with streamlined settings make navigating easy
- Includes GoPro warranty when purchased from an authorized reseller (see technical specification section below for additional details)
2. Sony HDRAS300/W HD Recording Underwater Action Camera
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p|
|Connectivity Technology||Wi Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, HDMI, USB and mic jack|
|Screen Size||2 Inches|
Description of Sony HDRAS300/W
3. GoPro Hero4 Black Waterproof Action Camera
|Video Capture Resolution||4K|
|Connectivity Technology||Wi-Fi + Bluetooth|
|Screen Size||0.5 Inches|
Description of GoPro Hero4 Black
Why Do I Decide to Choose The GoPro Hero 4?
GoPro Hero 4 is my current fave. In the end, GoPro will always be my favorite brand, and the GoPro Hero 7 seems beyond of reach, both financially and practically. The GoPro Hero 7 is said to be a little more difficult to use, according on what I've read.
That being said, here are some reasons why I like using the GoPro Hero 4:
Video Resolution: My favorite feature of the GoPro Hero 4 is its 4k resolution and slow-motion capability. When traveling out of the fast-flowing rivers of Western Europe, that alternative appeals to me much.
Take a look at this video and make sure you have 4K resolution turned on!
Night settings: During the autumn, I really like starting my pedaling around dawn, and the camera's unique night mode allows it to capture in almost any lighting condition. These options are often absent from lower-priced models.
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: With Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, you may use this action camera with your smartphone or another device. For me, the GoPro camera is simpler to use because of the excellent GoPro software and smart remote that comes with it.
Video Trimming: Videos are automatically trimmed to remove unwanted movements such as tremors. Video trimming is included into the camera. This translates to better-looking videos that you'll want to watch again and over.
Mounting: Thanks to GoPro's wide range of mounts, mounting this camera is a breeze. Here's where an action camera's usefulness will be determined.
Battery life: The camera's original battery has a short life span and has to be replaced often. If you're planning on kayaking for an extended period of time, consider bringing along an extra battery just in case.
Heat: This is the first time anything like this has happened to any of my cameras or devices. A buddy, on the other hand, informed me that if the GoPro Hero 4 camera gets too hot, it will shut off. That's supposed to happen only on very hot days when the camera is exposed to direct sunlight for an extended length of time.
GPS: GPS tracking is typically found in newer models. It doesn't have GPS tracking like the GoPro Hero 3. That's not a problem for me, but if you want GPS tracking, you should consider upgrading to a newer model. Alternately, you may make use of one of those convenient applications.
A quality kayaking action camera should have the following features
While researching action cameras, I was astounded by the sheer amount of manufacturers and models available. As a result, I set out to find the finest camera for my needs. What follows is my list of items I believe are essential for an excellent action camera.
- Camera Mount
- GPS Tracking
Watching videos that aren't in high definition is something I despise. My strong recommendation is to purchase a 1080p or full HD action camera. Ultra HD, which has a resolution of 4k, is the best option for those seeking true high quality.
Because I want to use my camera a lot near water, I made sure it was waterproof. You get the most from your action camera when kayaking, be sure to choose a waterproof model. With a waterproof casing, most cameras are dust and water resistant.
What is the best way to attach a camera? Your action camera may be mounted in one of three ways while paddling. Depending on your preference, you may strap it to your helmet, chest, or even your kayak. If you're going to purchase a brand, make sure it has a wide variety of mounts to choose from. If the brand you choose can only be mounted in a few different ways, you may come to regret your choice.
For the most part, GoPro is the most well-known manufacturer of action cameras, although Sony and YI are excellent alternatives for those on a tight budget.
The purpose of your new action camera isn't simply to record great footage. Using the camera correctly is also a must! Since not everyone is an experienced videographer, the camera must be user-friendly. You can quickly find out whether an action camera is simple to use by reading reviews.
Modern high-end action cameras come with GPS tracking as standard equipment. This does not constitute a request on my end. It's possible that for some of you, it's not worth the consideration. Instead than relying on your camera's GPS tracking, there are several excellent applications available.
The aforementioned video provides a good idea of the video's quality. In addition, it will demonstrate the many mounting options for an action camera. That really provided me with fresh inspiration.
My Final Pick: GoPro HERO4 Black WaterProof Action Camera
You Might Be Interested In: