Choosing the best fishing knot can be very hard especially if you are new to the game. In this post, I will give you the top 5 best fishing knots that you can rely on. They are easy to tie and will come in handy at any time.
The fishing knots that I am going to give you are very vital. They summarize the uses and abilities of most lines and also complement what you have. That’s why I suggest that you read through this post to understand how every one of them works.
The knots are suitable for beginners, intermediates, and pro anglers. Regardless of your level of experience, you will find these fishing knots to be quite helpful.
Take a look and see what we have prepared for you.
- 1 1. The Palomar Knot
- 2 2. The Surgeon’s Knot
- 3 3. The Blood Knot
- 4 4. The Spider Hitch Fishing Knot
- 5 5. The Improved Clinch Knot
- 6 Conclusion
1. The Palomar Knot
The Palomar fishing knot is the Best Fishing Knot every angler would love to know. It is the real power behind the best angler’s fishing knots and one that guarantees the catch.
Palomar is very easy to tie. Nonetheless, anglers agree that it is one of the strongest knots. The good thing is, you can tie it with any type of line.
If you want to tie a fishing knot on jigs, smaller crankbaits, and frogs this is the best line-to-lure to your fishing connection.
How to Tie a Palomar Knot
- Start by doubling your fishing line at one end so that it makes a loop
- Then take the loop and push it through the hook’s eye
- Now go ahead and tie an overhand knot that’s a bit lost
- Now pass the looped end around the hook’s end
- Then pull on the mainline to make it tight
- You can trim any loose end
2. The Surgeon’s Knot
The surgeon’s knot is the best fishing knot for an angler who wants to attach two fishing lines together. The surgeon’s knot is best if the two fishing lines that you want to fasten together have got different diameters.
The knot is sturdy and doesn’t break easily. It is very easy to tie. It works well with any angler who has tons of old fishing lines back in their store.
How to Tie the Surgeon’s Knot
- Lay the line and take the leader on top of the line
- They should be overlapping each other by more than 5 inches
- Now form a very simple loop
- Take the tag end and the leader and pass both through the loop twice.
- You can also pass both the tag end and also the leader through the loop once again
- Pull all the 4 ends tight.
NOTE: The surgeon’s knot is one of the best fishing knots that most learners should actually start with.
3. The Blood Knot
Unlike the improved clinch knot that we are yet to look at, the blood knot won’t be used in fastening the fishing lines to lures or hooks.
Instead, it is the best knot for anyone who wants to tie two pieces of the fishing line at the same time/ together. It is suitable for a fly line, but can also if you want to use a fishing line with an odd length.
The good thing is this; blood knot is easy-to-learn. So long as you have two lines with a similar diameter, or you need a makeshift line this knot will save the situation.
How to Tie the Blood Knot
- First, make sure that you have lined up the end of each line / the two lines together.
- You can do this for several inches sometimes for over 5 inches
- Then take the first line and wrap it around the other fishing line
- Do this severally – five times should be fine
- Now wrap the second loop around the other first-line too
- Do this severally – five times should be fine
- Then take the two loose ends of both lines back into the middle
- And pass them in between the two fishing lines
- Finally, pull both ends to make a tight snug.
4. The Spider Hitch Fishing Knot
This type of knot is used for boosting the strength of any line. It is rarely used. However, it might come in handy when you least expect it.
When supporting your mainline, the spider hitched line forms a double fishing line too. This makes it the best fishing knot if you want to take on the heavier hooks.
Even better, it gives you maximum line security so that you don’t have to worry in case you lose one of your fishing strands.
Some fish are battlers and without a strong line, you might lose your catch. The spider hitch enables you to fight and have a stronger hold until you have it reeled in.
It is best for saltwater fishing.
How to Tie the Spider Hitch Fishing Knot
- Take a length of your fishing line and double over it
- Now form a perfect loop
- Hold the loop between your thumb and the forefinger
- Then wrap the doubled line around your thumb
- Loop five times or 15 times in case you are using braided line
- You can now moisten the knot with saliva
- Pull evenly on the four ends to make it tight
NOTE: Before you set your lines, make sure that you have tightened your knot properly. This will prevent it from slipping out of the hook.
5. The Improved Clinch Knot
This is another awesome fishing knot for any fisherman. It is best for general purpose and for a long time has been the staple knot for the many fishermen.
The one reason that makes this knot loveable is how easy it is to ties. One thing that you should keep in mind though is that the improved clinch is slightly weaker compared to the Palomar.
However, it is a great knot if you want to get along with bigger baits and where you feel Palomar will be hard to ties. An improved clinch knot is the best knot for the big baits, larger crankbaits, and spinnerbaits.
How to Tie an Improved Cinch Knot
- First, thread the fishing line through the hook’s eye
- The move to the outside and make 7-line wraps around the mainline using the loose end
- Take the loose end/ the end that went through the eye through the loop
- Use the loop that’s nearest to the hook’s eye
- Then turn the loose end back around and through the inside of the loose line section
- Now pull all the two ends of the line to make a tight knot
- Trim any extension from the loose end.
Know that you know the top five Best Fishing Knots, why not grab your best fishing rod and string your strongest line through the guides? It is time to start getting the best fishing experience in the waters out there and you don’t have to wait anymore.
When you have the right fish knots to go with, your fishing experience will be halfway through. You will have saved a few catches for your loved ones without even knowing it. Get learning the knots for a smooth fishing experience today.