Are you looking for the best kayak or, seat for bad back? Your cheerful kayak vacation may turn into a nightmare if you feel a bad lower back during kayaking. Please inform me whether you are an already sufferer of bad lower back or kayaking with improper kayak, unsuitable seats, or back shield. These are all crucial factors when choosing your best kayak for the bad lower back.
After reviewing the global kayak’s manufacturers’ latest convenient technological kayak design & forum from all corners of the earth, SOT or Sit-on-Top kayak or raised sit type model is considered as the fittest kayak for the physically limited person especially those who suffer from lower back illness.
Remember, if you suffer from back pain, a comfortable kayak that is perfect for bad back is better than canoe.
Top 14 Best Kayaks for Bad Back: At A Glance
- Evaxo Tamarack Angler 10' Fishing Kayak
- Evaxo Tamarack Angler Kayak
- Evaxo Kokanee 10'6" Tandem Touring Kayak
- Evaxo Tide 10' Sit-in Touring Kayak
- Evaxo Payette 116 Touring Kayak
- Evaxo Tamarack 100 Sit-On-Top Kayak
- Evaxo Tioga 120" Kayak
- Evaxo Spitfire 9' Sit-On-Top Kayak
- Evaxo Dash 6'6" Youth Kayak
- Sevylor Quikpak K1 Kayak
- Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
- Bestway Hydro-Force Cove Champion Inflatable Kayak
- Bestway Hydro-Force Koracle Inflatable Kayak
Best kayak for bad back - Reviews
1. Evaxo Tamarack Angler 10' Fishing Kayak (Under $1200)
Tamarack Angler 10' Fishing Kayak. Description The Lifetime Tamarack Angler 10' Fishing Kayak is a sit-on-top )SOT) withs a comfortable padded seat and backrest for long paddling and fishing adventures. Designed for extreme safety and stability, the Tamarack Angler has a stable flat bottom with deep tracking channels and stability chine rails.
This kayak is constructed of blow-molded high-density polyethylene (HDPE)–making it durable, UV-protected and impact resistant. The 52 pound design and front and rear carry handles make it easy to transport to and from the waterfront. With fishing rod holders, shock cord straps, multiple footrest positions, and two storage hatches, this kayak offers plenty of extras to enhance your paddling and fishing experience. Policies & plans Specifications 10' adult SOT kayak 275 lbs. weight capacity Padded seat back and seat pad Front and rear shock cords Two 6" storage hatches in the rear and center 2 flush-mounted fishing pole holders 1 top mount rod holde Paddle keeper Front and rear T-handles Draft: 5" (12,7 cm) Height: 14" (35,6 cm) Hull Material: High-density polyethylene (HDPE) Length: 120" (304,8 cm) Maximum Weight Capacity: 275 lbs. (124,7 kg) Warranty: 5-Year Limited Weight: 52 lbs. (23,5 kg) Width: 31" (78,7 cm)
2. Evaxo Tamarack Angler Kayak (Under $1000)
Tamarack Angler Kayak. Description The Tamarack Angler Kayak is a "sit-on-top" kayak that has a comfortable padded seat backrest for long paddling and fishing adventures. Designed for extreme safety and stability, the Tamarack Angler features a stable flat bottom with deep tracking channels and stability chine rails. The kayak is constructed of blow-molded high-density polyethylene (HDPE) making it durable, UV-protected and impact-resistant. A lightweight, 50-pound design with front/rear carry handles makes it easy to transport to and from the waterfront. With fishing rod holders, shock cord straps, multiple footrest positions and two 6" center compartments, this kayak has plenty of "extras" to enhance your paddling and fishing experience. Policies & plans Specifications Constructed of UV-protected high-density polyethylene Durable 50 lb. (22.7 kg) design Multiple footrest positions for different sized riders Comfortable padded seat back for long paddling Stable flat bottom, two flush-mounted fishing rod holders One top-mount fishing rod holder, front and rear shock cord straps Two 6" storage compartments in rear and center Paddle cradle with shock cord, front and rear T-handles for easy transport Deep hull tracking channels, stability chine rails Durable high-density polyethylene (HDPE) construction, UV-Protected–will not fade, crack, or peel
3. Evaxo Kokanee 10'6" Tandem Touring Kayak (Under $1000)
Kokanee 10'6" Tandem Kayak. Description The Lifetime Kokanee Kayak is a "sit-on-top" kayak that has two comfortable backrests for your long paddling adventures. The kayak is constructed of blow-molded high-density polyethylene (HDPE), making it durable, UV-protected and impact resistant.
The lightweight 76-pound design, and front and rear carry handles make it easy to transport to and from the waterfront. With shock cord straps and multiple footrest positions, this kayak has plenty of "extras" to enhance your paddling experience. Policies & plans Specifications Constructed of UV-protected high-density polyethylene (HDPE) Hull design provides ultra stability and great tracking Lightweight 76 lb. design Multiple footrest positions for different size paddlers Self-bailing scupper holes drain cockpit area of water 2 ditty trays and shock cord straps to secure loose items Easy carry handle(s) Optional third jump seat 2 storage hatches 2 adjustable quick-release seat backs for comfort Versatile design allows for solo or tandem paddling.
4. Evaxo Tide 10' Sit-in Touring Kayak (Under $800)
Tide 10' Sit-In Kayak (Paddle Included). Description The Emotion Tide Kayak is a "sit-inside" kayak that has a large cockpit and a comfortable backrest for long paddling adventures. Designed for extreme safety and stability, the Tide has a stable flat bottom with deep tracking channels and stability chine rails.
The kayak is constructed of blow-molded high-density polyethylene making it durable, UV-protected and impact resistant. The innovative Skeg Wheel and front and rear carry handles make it easy to transport to and from the waterfront. With shock cord straps, multiple footrest positions, and a rear hatch with shock cords, this kayak has plenty of extras to enhance your paddling experience. Policies & plans Specifications Cockpit Area: 19.5" x 38" (49,5 cm x 96,5 cm) Draft: 5.1" (13 cm) Height: 14.2" (36 cm) Hull Design: ST Performance Hull Hull Material: High-density polyethylene (HDPE) Length: 10' 3" (312,4 cm) Maximum Weight Capacity: 275 lbs. (124,7 kg) Warranty: 5-Year Limited Weight: 48 lbs. (21,8 kg) Width: 29.5" (74,93 cm)
5. Evaxo Payette 116 Touring Kayak (Under $700)
Payette 116 Kayak, Glacier Blue. Description The Lifetime Payette 116 Kayak is a "sit-inside" kayak with a large cockpit and a comfortable backrest for long paddling adventures. Designed for extreme safety and stability, the Payette features a stable flat-bottom with deep tracking channels and stability chine rails. The kayak is constructed of blow-molded high-density polyethylene making it durable, UV-protected, and impact-resistant. The lightweight, 44 pound design and front and rear carry handles make it easy to transport to and from the waterfront. With shock cord straps, multiple footrest positions, and an enclosed compartment with a lid and shock cords, this kayak has plenty of "extras" to enhance your paddling experience. Policies & plans Specifications Constructed of UV-Protected high-density polyethylene Multiple footrest positions for different size riders Large cockpit with seat back Stable flat bottom Deep hull tracking channels Stability chine rails
6. Evaxo Tamarack 100 Sit-On-Top Kayak (Under $700/Per Pack)
Tamarack 100 Sit-On-Top Kayak - 2 Pack (Paddles Included). Description The Lifetime Tamarack is a sit-on-top kayak built for durability and designed for stability and comfort. The flat bottom and deep tracking channels optimize the stability and movement of the kayak. The adjustable backrest and multiple footrest positions optimize your comfort on your long paddling adventures. The kayak features a durable build that's impact resistant and UV-protected. There are three storage options for your gear in the water: front bungees, a rear tank well and a storage hatch in the center. Front and rear T-handles and side luggage handles let you easily carry your kayak to and from the water. Great for an outing with a friend or family member, this Lifetime Tamarack Kayak 2 Pack is truly equipped to give you the best experience out on the water. Policies & plans Specifications Draft: 5" (12,7 cm) Height: 14" (35,6 cm) Hull Material: High-density polyethylene (HDPE) Length: 120" (304,8 cm) Maximum Weight Capacity: 275 lbs. (124,7 kg) Weight: 50 lbs. (22,7 kg) Width: 31" (78,7 cm)
7. Evaxo Tioga 120" Kayak (Under $700/Per Pack)
Tioga 120" Kayak, 2 Pack. The Lifetime Tioga 120 Kayak is a "sit-on-top" kayak with a comfortable backrest for your paddling adventures. Designed for extreme safety and stability, the Tioga features a stable flat bottom with deep tracking channels and stability chine rails. The kayak is constructed of blow-molded high-density polyethylene (HDPE), making it durable, UV-protected, and impact-resistant. The lightweight, 50-pound design has front and rear carry handles, making it easy to transport to and from the waterfront. With shock cord straps, multiple footrest positions, and a 6" rear compartment, this kayak has plenty of extras to enhance your paddling experience. Specifications 120" adult kayak 275 lbs. weight capacity UV-protected high-density polyethylene (HDPE) 50 lbs. design Stable flat bottom Carry handle Deep hull tracking channels Stability chine rails
8. Evaxo Spitfire 9' Sit-On-Top Kayak (Under $700/Per Pack)
Spitfire 9' Sit-On-Top Kayak - 2 Pack. Description Offering the stability and performance of a smaller kayak with additional features and upgrades, the Emotion Spitfire 9 Kayak is 9' long with a 350 lb. weight capacity. In a bright shade of orange, this model is a sit-on-top (SOT) kayak and comes with a padded backrest and bottom pad for comfort. It's constructed of durable high-density polyethylene (HDPE) for long-lasting use and enjoyment. Specifications Color: Orange Height: 14" (35,6 cm) Hull Design: ST performance hull Hull Material: High-density polyethylene (HDPE) Length: 9 ft. (274 cm) Maximum Weight Capacity: 350 lbs. (159 kg) Warranty: 5-year limited Weight: 45 lbs. (20 kg) Width: 31" (78,7 cm)
9. Evaxo Dash 6'6" Youth Kayak (Under $300)
Dash 6'6" Youth Kayak.The Lifetime Dash 6' 6" Kayak is a great kayak for smaller paddlers. With a carry handle molded into the seat, the kayak is convenient to transport to and from the water. An ergonomic cockpit design increases the balance and tracking of the watercraft. The molded paddle cradle gives paddlers a convenient location to store their paddle while out on the water and the foam seat back adjusts for comfort. Specifications Youth kayak Ergonomic cockpit design enhances balance and motor skills Multiple footrest positions for different size paddlers Front t-handle for easy transport Recommended for ages 5 and up with adult supervision Patented swim-up deck design with molded hand grips to assist re-entry Integrated center carry handle (patent pending) Stable hull design and integrated skeg for tracking performance Self-bailing scupper holes drain cockpit area of water Molded paddle cradle.
10. Sevylor Quikpak K1 Kayak (Under $300)
Sevylor is the most proper inflatable hull designed kayak. From design to stability, it allows secured & flexible kayaking with limited stress on the back. The material used in it is highly super strength, durable & kayaker’s friendly. If you don’t want to compromise your kayaking mania with your limited physical mobility, then this kayak is obviously for you.
There are two skegs which allow very effective stable moving against repeated kayak bobbling or weaving when paddling. And its maximum load capacity (400 Lbs) is excellent for a one-person kayak.
- Kayak’s length is 103 inches & wide 36 inches.
- Two Skegs are available.
- One paddle included.
- Five individual separate compartments.
- Two locks system valves.
What I Like
- Very convenient to pump up
- Less spending worth huge returns
- Puncture protected by a tarpaulin
- Excellent than any hard shell kayak
- It is highly recommended for kayak beginners & physically limited persons
- It's an excellent stable sit on top kayak, which allows quick in & out from the kayak
- Heavy separated backrest air chamber allows you more rest & extra comfortable for the kayaker
What I Don't Like
- The seat doesn’t work as a life vest
- It is not recommended for serious or long time kayaking
If you have bad lower back and look for such a kayak that have minimum 400 pounds weight capacity, this is the best option for you.
11. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak (Under $200)
Intex Explorer K2 is an incredibly sturdy inflatable kayak. The cockpit has been designed for ease & space. A very trusted brand, Intex offers its most sophisticated durable kayak.
- When inflated, the dimension goes as 123 inches (L) by 36 inches (Wide).
- Max. The weight load is 400 LBS/181 kg.
- Color is yellow & it is obvious from the shore.
- The floor is fully rigid of I-beam.
- Two paddles (2.18 meter each)
What I Like
- Very reasonable price
- Maneuvering is very easy
- Highly puncture resistant
- The material is very tight PVC
- The valves are heavy-duty for faster pumping
- Multiple chambers offer more stability & security
- When deflating, it is small enough to fit in the trunk
- The removable sitting adjustable seats are very convenient
- The carry bag is heavy enough to fit the dissembled parts easily
What I Don't Like
- Very light so a mid type wind may swing it
As this is the upgraded series of Intex Challenger Kayak and have comfortable features with 400 pounds weight capacity for your lower bad back, you can buy this one without any doubt.
12. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak (Under $300)
Intex Excursion Pro is a light weight and highly resistant kayak. So, this kayak is not damaged by rub, conflict and sunlight. High-pressure inflation increases the rigidity and durability of this kayak. Two individual removable skegs are available for shallow and deep water. Two adjustable bucket seats and two floor mounted footrests provide more comfort. Besides, two mobilized recessed fishing rod holders is another convenience for comfortable fishing. For additional gears, there has a removable and adjustable mounting bracket, such as fish finder, GPS system and swivel fishing rod holder etc. A repair patch and carry bag are included. Two storage space- bow & stern storage with D-rings to keep gears and essentials dry.
Length: 12feet & 7inch
Width: 3feet & 1inch
Weight: 39.01 pounds
Capacity: 400 Pounds
Best Use : Fishing
Material: Super tough laminate PVC with polyester core
What I Like
- Removable bracket to hold gears
- Very easy to carry with a simple bag
- Two oars and hand pump comes with this kayak
- Paddles, pump and pressure gauge are included with gears
- High stability due to super tough laminate PVC with laminated core
- Maneuverability is easy and fast on both shallow and deep water using 2 separate sized skegs
- Inflatable seats, backrests is designing ergonomically and adjustable footrests provides more comfort
What I Don't Like
- Not perfect for choppy water
If you suffer from bad back and look for such a kayak that is 400 weight capacity, you can choose this kayak
without any doubt.
13. Bestway Hydro-Force Cove Champion Inflatable Kayak Set (Under $100)
Take your summer to the next level, and drift along on the lake, River or ocean in the Hydro-Force Cove champion inflatable kayak. This set comes with everything you need for a great day on the water - a paddle, a pump and a patch. Designed for quick and easy setup, This lightweight Kayak is simple to inflate using the included air hammer hand pump.
The comfortably-sized cockpit features an adjustable seat with a backrest for extra support. This kayak also has plenty of storage space for snacks, extra equipment or any other water necessities. Plus, it navigates the water with ease using the fins on the bottom, which are removable to ensure easy and compact storage. Transporting this kayak is a breeze Using the wraparound grab rope. Easy to use, and easy to store - bring out your inner explorer with the Hydro-Force Cove champion inflatable kayak.
14. Bestway Hydro-Force Koracle Inflatable Kayak Set (Under $100)
There's nothing better than relaxing on the water and fishing the day away. Now, you can fish in comfort with the convenient Hydro-Force koracle inflatable fishing kayak. Along with a built-in fishing rod holder and Oar clasps, this kayak also features an inflatable backrest for ultimate relaxation.
There are also 4 footrests to accommodate users of all heights, so anyone that uses this kayak is promised top-notch comfort. The Oracle Kayak is as convenient as it gets. Simply inflate it when you're ready to use it, and deflate it when you're done. It's perfect for transportation and compact storage. Plus, the dorsal fin is detachable, making it even easier to store this kayak. This set also includes an air hammer hand pump for simple, quick inflation, a paddle and a repair patch.
Some kayaks have terrible seats that are attached via plastic buckles and not the metal you see on most after market seats. If you suffer from back pain and have no enough budget , you should sell your old kayak to buy a new kayak that is perfect for bad back. On the other hand, if you have no will to buy a new one, kayak seat replacement is a must for your bad back. Some elevated kayak seats have been posted below, let's see.
Top 4 Best Kayak Seats for Bad Back
- BKC UH-PS223 Universal Sit On Top Kayak Full Padded Seat and Backrest
- Welugnal Kayak Backrest Boating Seat
- Pactrade Marine Adjustable Padded Deluxe Kayak Seat Detachable Back Backpack/Bag Canoe Backrest
- Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus seatback
Are you worried about how to make kayak seat more comfortable? Really, Kayak seat is one of the most important factors before purchasing your final kayak decision. Based on sit in or sit on top kayak, a universal kayak seat has emerged in a couple of multiple designs. Best seat adjustments can easily release back pain & give comfort for the bad lower back.
Cheap and expensive kayak seats are available in the market. I don't know which one you want. Just notice which one meets your demand. So, read the article below attentively to find out your expected one.
You may have such a kayak seat that is attached via plastic buckles and not the metal ones is really terrible, you may notice on most after market kayak seats. You should replace such a kayak seat that is ease for your bad back.
1. BKC UH-PS223 Universal Sit On Top Kayak Full Padded Seat and Backrest
It is one of the best sot kayak seat.
2. Welugnal Kayak Backrest Boating Seat
3. Pactrade Marine Adjustable Padded Deluxe Kayak Seat Detachable Back Backpack/Bag Canoe Backrest
Brooklyn kayak is a very popular brand and one of the best kayak seats for bad back back in the kayak industry. Its professional kayak seat is an excellent extra padded comfort to give you a different feeling for your bad back.
- The vertical size is about 17 inches/ 0.45 meters.
- The clips are fully anti-rust alloy
- Multiple buckles & loops are available for any custom adjustability.
- The seat pad is enough for extra padded; it's about one inch.
- It’s a high kayak seat.
- High backrest design.
What I Like
- The material & clips are long-lasting
- Wonderful international rating- 9 out of 10
- The ground & vertical sizes are standard to fit with any kayak
- The four D-Rings are very flexible to attach with any extra foam pad
- This is provided with a couple of straps that are very flexible to adjust your back until you feel ultimate comfort
What I Don't Like
- The seat pad is squeezable
- The underneath of the seat is not skidded less
This kayak seat has been designed for those who are suffering from bad back. Then you should buy this seat right now.
4. Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus seatback
A worldwide accepted Ocean kayak company manufactures a comfortable seat that is the very lumbar spine or human back-friendly. As a high kayak seat or sit on top kayak seat, Ocean offers the best kayak for the bad lower back. It is one of the best sea kayak seats.
To know more about ocean kayak frenzy seat, click here.
- The base dimension: 12.6"H ×15.74" W & The vertical dimension: 18.5"H × 21.6" W.
- Two straps are from the bow (front) & another two straps from the stern (back) available.
- The weight of this seat is 2 Lbs/0.9 kg.
- The seat is fully Ultraviolet resistant.
- The clips are fully anti-rust & stainless steel.
- This kayak seat is designed with high backrest position that provides extra comfort.
What I Like
- Nicely adjustable
- Excellent rating 9.2 out of 10
- You can paddle easily from any position easily
- Extra padding is comfortable for lumbar support & lump
- The seat ventilation system offers maximum cooling & comfort
- The four brass swivels are perfect for adjusting with any kind of kayak brand
What I Don't Like
- The base pad is thin
- Straps are nylon type instead of metal brass made
If you have trouble with bad back and so, you are not able to paddle easily from any position, bear in mind that this kayak seat is for you.
5. GTS Elite Molded Foam Touring Kayak Seat
6. Expedition Kayak Seat 20" High Back Support with Lumbar Roll and Nylon Gel seat Bottom for Kayaking Comfort
Use Best Back Support to Get Rid of Back Pain
- Have you broken your back many years ago?
- Have you had operations for few times?
- Have you bought many back supports to get rid of back pain?
If the reply is "Yes" and you might tell that no good result and everything is useless. Right? No tension! This is BackShield Back Support that will be able to provide you real comfort. If you want to get real comfort & rid of back pain, you should read the following article...
1. BackShield Support for Back Pain Relief
Many of brands are thin and collapsed causes useless. This support is covered with softshell and very ridged that provide you comfortable sitting, where you thought that it would hurt your back like others back supports. We believe that your mistake will be broken soon after using it. Many patients in a medical program told, "This is the best back support I've used in my life".
You won't feel discomfort even after a long tour using this back support. Though it's little expensive, I hope that you will have bought more BackShield Supports for other family members of yours. Because you can't find such back support anywhere. If you get the benefit then the money is not a matter. Many people become surprised for this that the customer service of this company send them email to know that whether they are satisfied using this back support. We think that you will be glad as well to get such kind of email.
Our experts have researched with this product noticing that people are providing good support. Then our experts make a chart of "What I Like and What I dislike". Read the chart below to know more>>>
What I Like
- It won't be bend and collapse
- Prevents and relieves back pain
- Prevents slumping to improve posing
- It has been designed to support the spine's natural curve
- The flexibility and ventilated system of it keeps you cool
- It helps with decreasing pressure and strain on the shoulder, neck and lumbar territories
- Superior materials have been used in this triple-layer construction to spread comfort throughout the back
What I Don't Like
- A bit pricey
- Sometimes it slides, so it has to be adjusted which takes a second
If you look for such a back support that is perfect for all vehicles, RV's, trucks and kayaks, you should buy it without any doubt.
Bad Lower Back Issue When Kayaking: Reason & Remedy
Bad lower back occurs for many reasons. Out of those factors, back injury/Spinal cord injury/surgery of herniated disc, etc. Your kayaking wish or enjoyment will vapor in a minute if your bad back response you highly to stop paddling.
Reasons for Bad Lower Back
There are many reasons why bad back happens. Out of those are:
- Same posture for a long time.
- Lack of comfortable paddling technique
- Repetitive spine rotation
- Proper maneuver while paddling
- Improper stretching
The Remedy of Bad Lower Back
There are different Pelvis stretches & body limb exercises to prevent & cure lower back pain. And the most important is the hamstrings exercises.
The stiffed hamstring is the main responsible for squeezing your mobility for curving & hoisting.
- Not fully lean back seat. Touching with comfort.
- Positioning 90-degree angle with lower back & buttocks keeping chest slightly forward.
- Knees should have a twisting position to keep forward & back bending.
- Avoid traditional kayaking position.
- Frequently switch position to release at a stretch the same angled of paddling.
While kayaking, backrest & footrest are important factors. Continuous paddling creates extra pressure against footrest, lumbar spine-the main factor of sitting straight.
A Proper Kayak Paddling Technique
- Efficient posture is a must to use your whole body efficiently.
- Straightforward seated position, shoulder relaxing, chest broadening & not to lean against backrest are the prime factors while starting for happy kayaking.
- Improper foot pegging is tiresome & not pleasant at all, so spreading foot with slightly bending eases you to paddle more efficiently. Getting good torso rotation by keeping legs together allows comfortable paddling.
- It needs to ensure placing correct foot pegs so that you conveniently push against it.
- Keeping arms straight & by rotating torso, you can easily paddle without burning extra power with less effort.
- Adjust upper hand with the eye level & stroking the paddle from the vertical point.
1. What's the best kayak seat cushion?
You can choose one from the list below:
- Pelican Boats - Sit-on-top Kayak or SUP Seat – PS0480-3 - Universal Fit Water Repellent Cushion with Back Support
- 2 Pack of Kayak Seat Deluxe Padded Canoe Backrest Seat Sit On Top Cushioned Back Support SUP Paddle Board Seats with Detachable Storage Bag 4 Adjustable Straps for Kayaking Canoeing Rafting Fishing
2. Would you tell me about DIY kayak seat upgrade?
Last year I had made a comfortable kayak seat adding a kayak seat back support and a cheap stadium cushion that made me more satisfied than ago.
3. How will I attach a stadium seat for kayak?
To know details about kayak stadium seat, please click here.
4. What can I use for sitting comfort in my kayak?
No limits kayak seat in the market. For sitting comfort, you can use Skwoosh Gel Kayak Seat Cushion while paddling and fishing.
5. What are the best kayak covers?
Today I will inform you top 3 kayak covers. These are:
You Might Be Interested In: